The NBA Draft which was held in New Jersey, not sure why they couldn’t be classy like the NFL and have it at Radio City Music Hall. It feels like a college graduation except instead of useless diploma they are handed contracts for thousands of dollars. As you can imagine it is a very emotional event for the players. For the attendees it is a chance to get drunk and boo David Stern which may of them did. Luckily for Stern many years of denial have turned boos into cheers in his mind.
As we speak the draft is still going on but let’s face it only the first 15-20 really matter. After that it becomes what’s his name, where’s he from, and he’s be warming the bench. The big winner of tonight’s draft was of course New Orleans Hornets. The Hornets which amazingly lucked out on getting the first pick took home Kentucky’s Anthony Davis. Luckily I only mock draft for the number 1 pick so I was good.
Here are the picks and my reaction(which you could see first hand if you follow us on Twitter)
1. Anthony Davis (Kentucky) going to New Orleans Hornets. We learned tonight that Davis has trademarked his unibrow which means sadly he will never shave it. I am not sure how exactly you trademark facial hair? Does that mean that James Harden’s beard is trademarked to?
2. Michael Kidd-Gilchrist (Kentucky) going to Charlotte Bobcats. Kidd-Gilchrist is amazing athlete but let’s face it he’s no Davis. So don’t see much changing for the Bobcats. At least they can’t get any worse.
3. Bradley Beal (Florida) going to Washington Wizards. He apparently has a lot of high character which I think ESPN speak for he is not a thug.
4. Dion Waiters (Syracuse) going to Cleveland Cavaliers. Kyrie Irving should be happy that they got a good player. He’s needed some support for awhile now.
5. Thomas Robinson (Kansas) going to Sacramento Kings. Was really surprised Robinson didn’t go sooner in the draft. He is an amazing player and I think the nicest guy ever. He is helping to take care of his family after his mother’s death. The reporter interviewed his sister after the pick was made and told her that she was moving near Disneyland. Umm yeah Sacramento is kind of far from Disneyland. Too bad David Stern put ax on the Kings moving to the OC, she could have lived in Disneyland.
6. Damian Lillard (Weber) going to Portland Trail Blazers. So still not sure where Weber is or who Lillard is?
7. Harrison Barnes (UNC) going to Golden State Warriors. This is a may be the bright spot on Warriors’ fans day . . . it might just make you forget your coach hooked up with a stripper.
8. Terrence Ross (Washingon) going to the Toronto Raptors. This guy actually didn’t look sad about being drafted to the Raptors. I feel like being drafted to the Raptors is like saying, “You won’t make any real money unless you get good and they trade you or you become a free agent.”
9. Andre Drummond (Connecticut) going to the Detroit Pistons. I honestly forgot about the Pistons.
10. Austin Rivers (Duke) going to the New Orleans Hornets. So yeah now the Hornets might actually have a chance to be a good team. Feels a little like the Oklahoma City Thunder, a lot of young talent.